CategoryFrank Lloyd Wright
About This Item
historically important, museum quality residential “daylight” lightscreen designed by notable architect frank lloyd wright for the c. 1902-3 extant w.e. martin house (oak park, il). the window represents one of wright’s distinctive innovations in leaded glass design involving the first successful integration of thick and thin caming within the same panel. the technique allowed wright to create designs or patterns of elegant simplicity with the use of relatively few materials. the sophisticated “grille” is comprised of double crowne zinc caming enclosing original panes of clear glass. the corners and edges are highlighted with iridized glass squares. likely executed by the linden glass company, chicago, il. the same base pattern was used in the fountain doors at the c. 1904 dana house (springfield, il). contains a newer wood frame. multiple hairline cracks. structurally sound. measures 69 x 23 inches. commissioned in 1902 and completed in 1903, the w.e. martin house brought frank lloyd wright eight other major commissions. wright subsequently designed the e-z polish factory, which was owned by william e. martin and his brother darwin d. martin. darwin martin was employed by the larkin company in buffalo, new york, and helped persuade the company to have wright design its new administration building. darwin also commissioned wright to design his home and a gardeners cottage in buffalo, new york, as well as a summer residence in derby, new york. in addition, homes were built in buffalo for george barton, martin’s brother in law, and for w.r. heath and alexander davidson, who were larkin company employees.