About This Item
largely intact oversized late 1920’s vibrantly colored original leaded stained glass interior auditorium exit light panel salvaged during the 1950’s from the broadway theater, designed by architect douglas p. hall. the c 1927 panel retains the original mounting frame that would be attached flush against a light box inset used to make the colorful panel backlit. the caming remains in great shape. there are a few hairline cracks in the red glass lettering, but otherwise the theater exit sign remain in great overall condition. the exact fabricator is not known. the broadway theater first opened in 1927 as a movie palace and/or vaudeville theater. famed new york city architect, douglas p. hall was the architect on record. the theater was purchased in 1947 by the walter reade organization, where it became a first run movie house. in 1953 it was renamed the community theater and damaging interior alterations led to the removal of the grand chandelier and other original architectural elements (including the stained glass exit and aisle lights) and replacement of the 1927 marquee and blade sign with an imposing neoclassical portico. the theater was closed in 1977, but rescued from demolition. after undergoing a complete restoration, the theater is fully operational again, hosting several entertainment acts and performances. with a 1500-seat capacity, it remains the largest proscenium theater between manhattan and albany. measures 26 x 11 3/4 x 1 7/8 inches.