About This Item
original mottled glazed finish terra cotta decorative pilaster, salvaged from the facade of the c. 1928 dupage theater, located in lombard, il. the terra cotta pilaster is comprised of three sections, including base, twisted rope and/or spiral motif column segment and capital with central cartouche, flanked by acanthus leaves. the brick and mortar filled cavities on the backside have been carefully hollowed to reduce the weight of each section. the dupage theater was the creation of the midwest paramount theater corporation. opened on july 28, 1928, this movie palace was designed by architect r.g. wolff, who was associated with the chicago architecture firm of rapp and rapp, which is recognized as the foremost theater architectural firm in american history. the dupage theater was one of the rare atmospheric style theaters first conceived by famed architect john eberson. using a combination of architectual features and special lighting effects, the theatergoer was transported to an outdoor spanish garden setting with blinking stars covering a patio. in theaters like the dupage, the building and its special lighting effects were as much a part of the show as the entertainment presented onscreen and/or onstage. the dupage theater played host to all the great classic films, as well as featured live entertainers such as gene autry, pat butram and george gobel. in may of 2007, after years of controversy and struggle, the theater was demolished to make way for future development. measures 33 x 9 x 11 inches.