About This Item
exceptional original and intact american art deco “jazz age” cast bronze wall-mount interior cincinnati times-star building lobby elevator indicator plaque with a largely intact chrome finish. the bronze metal plaque contains two removable pressed glass directional arrows in frosted white and ruby red. the plaque has striking lines and a zigzag design motif along the edges. the single-sided directional plaque would have been illuminated from the backside. the pressed glass arrows and plaque are in great overall condition, considering age. the exact fabricator is not known. only one available. the 16-story 1933 cincinnati times-star stepped back limestone landmark building was designed built in cincinnati by the architectural firm of samuel hannaford & sons (known for designing the city’s music and city hall) in the art deco style. the decorated limestone stepped facade pays homage to the printing and publishing businesses. four massive corner columns, standing 200 feet above ground level represent patriotism, truth, speed and progress. the newspaper plant occupied the first six stories while the floors above were mainly offices. the cincinnati times-star was an outgrowth of several newspapers owned by cincinnati’s taft family. at the time, charles phelps taft was editor. when the newspaper ceased operations in 1958, any and all assets were purchased by the newspaper’s rival (the cincinnati post), who later moved into the building, occupying it until 1984. during the late 1980’s the building was bought by hamilton county and renamed 800 broadway. the extant building is currently used for county offices and juvenile courts.