About This Item
refinished 19th century intact antique american neoclassical style ornamental cast iron elevator medallion salvaged from the extant witherspoon building, located in philadelphia, pa. the circular-shaped medallion or “mechanical indicating disc” retains the original detachable (bolted) cast brass numbers around the perimeter. the medallion has been brushed down to bare metal and sealed with a clear coat lacquer. the original ornamented solid brass indicator arrow remains intact. the elevator floor indicator was likely fabricated by or for the elevator supply and repair company, chicago, il. the witherspoon building is an extant historic office building located in the market east neighborhood of philadelphia, pennsylvania. it was designed by architect joseph m. huston (1866–1940) and built between 1895 and 1897. it was built for the presbyterian board of publications and sabbath school work. the 11-story steel frame “e”-shaped building is faced with brick, granite and ornamented terra cotta elements. its exterior features corinthian and ionic order columns, statues, medallions, seals of various boards and agencies of the presbyterian church and of related reformed churches. it is named for john witherspoon (1723–1794), founder of princeton university. measures 15 inches in diameter, 1 inch wide, and 14 1/2 inches from face of medallion to back of indicator.