About This Item
original early 1920’s oversized “wrightesque” style carved indiana (bedford) limestone fragment recovered from the non-extant bunte candy factory demolition site. the exterior facade panel fragment was originally part of an elaborate endcap containing a finely carved spread-winged eagle. the stonework was likely executed by the bedford steam stone works company. the fragment was designed by hugh garden. the bunte candy factory building was considered one of the largest prairie school commercial and/or factory buildings ever constructed. the massive brick and limestone complex was designed by the architectural firm of schmidt, garden & martin. the factory was later converted into a high school in 1969, eight years after the bunte candy co. moved out. the entire complex was razed in 2008 to make way for an athletic field and parking area for the new westinghouse college prep built across the street. the two newel posts are comprised of tubular bronze with original polished nickel-plated finish largely intact. the posts each contain graduating ball finials and angular folded and pressed panels affixed tightly against each post. the flanges contain pre-drilled holes for anchoring into the floor. in 1876, ferdinand bunte, gustav a. bunte, and charles a. spoehr started a candy manufactory on state street in chicago. after a few years, ferdinand’s son theodore w. bunte took charge of the business. by the 1910’s, when bunte bros. did annual sales of about $2.4 million, the company employed about 1,200 people. as late as the 1950’s, it had over 1,000 workers in its chicago plants. in 1954, bunte brothers candy co. was purchased by chase candy co. of st. joseph, missouri, and a new firm, bunte-chase, was created. in 1961, the firm closed the chicago plant, dropped the bunte name, and returned to st. joseph.