Building 51 | Building 51 | mid-1870’s refinished corinthian style cast iron capital with original oak wood post segment – union foundry works, chicago, il.
8817
portfolio_page-template-default,single,single-portfolio_page,postid-8817,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-3.5,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.1.1,vc_responsive
 

mid-1870’s refinished corinthian style cast iron capital with original oak wood post segment – union foundry works, chicago, il.

Category

Chicago Buildings

About This Item

completely refinished exceptionally well-designed and finely executed c. 1870’s chicago interior decorative cast iron capital with original solid oak wood column segment. the heavily ornamented corinthian style capital is comprised of several individual acanthus leaves and riveted joint volute corner sections. the capital components were originally secured to the post with the use of common square nails. multiple oversized load-bearing white oak wood turned and tapered columns were salvaged from a chicago commercial building likely constructed shortly after the great chicago fire. each ornamental leaf has been thoroughly brushed down to bare metal and sealed with a clear coat lacquer. multiple coats of paint were removed from the post segment to reveal the wood grain. the oak post has been sanded and sealed. traces of the original white finish were left in place. the majority of columns and capitals salvaged thus far by our team, lead by eric j. nordstrom, were comprised of cast iron with fluting used on the posts. the capitals from prior salvages were comprised of either two or four part sections, with any and all decorative ornament affixed to cylindrical sheet iron that conformed to the curvature of the column. both the material and method of assembly are somewhat unusual with this particular example. the cast iron components were likely fabricated by the union foundry works, chicago, ill. four complete capitals are available for sale. this example is reserved for the bldg. 51 museum. the commercial building with a joilet limestone facade, was demolished in march of 2015.