About This Item
exceptionally well-designed american c. 1936 lower course band double-sided corner slip glaze terra cotta panel, salvaged from the oliver morton school located in hammond, in. the chicago prairie style school was constructed during 1936-1937. the chicago-based architect george grant elmslie, a disciple of frank lloyd wright and louis h. sullivan and a master of prairie-style architecture, designed the building’s terra cotta ornament alongside principal architect william hutton. the richly ornate terra cotta with a striking interplay between intricate organic leafage and geometric designs and/or shapes is comprised of natural clay with a beige slip glaze finish. fabricated by the northwestern terra cotta company with fritz albert as the clay modeler. the morton school was demolished in 1991.