About This Item
hard to find c. 1927 interior lobby column cast plaster fragment removed from the granada theater during demolition in 1991. the plaster fragment features a central cartouche with figural muse. the original gilded or antique gold enameled finish remains largely intact. the granada theater was the last surviving example of a movie palace designed by the architectural firm of levy & klein with edward e. eichenbaum as principal designer. the building was a superb example of the excessively ornamented (italian baroque) architecture used for theaters during the early days of moving pictures. the granada theater was the largest theater built for its original owners, the marks brothers. completed in 1926, the building had a number of notable points of importance, including, but not limited to, one of the most elaborate heating and air conditioning systems of the period. it also had the first freespan balcony truss in chicago. after years of neglect and abandonment, the theater was demolished in 1991. measures 36 x 20 inches.