About This Item
early 20th century american antique michael reese hospital “old main” interior lobby wall-mount nickel-plated cast bronze elevator floor indicator likely fabricated by the elevator supply & repair co., chicago, il. the arch top elevator panel contains six detachable numbers (the “b” represents basement). the highly ornate indicator arrow or pointer is affixed to a grooved friction wheel (originally mounted deep within the wall). the elevator indicator remains in great overall condition, with a mostly uniform surface patina. the south side chicago michael reese hopsital was erected on the ground of the former hospital constructed in 1880. the hospital was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies on june 16th, 1907. built at a cost of nearly a million dollars, the hospital was considered the most modern and best equipped in the city during time of construction. the building itself was six stories in height, constructed of solid masonry, steel and tile, with the most approved “system of heating, lighting and ventilation.” the interior originally accommodated 240 beds, included sixty private rooms. there were three operating rooms , along with special provisions for isolating patients in the surgical, medical gynecological and maternity departments. the hospital was designed by the architectural firm of schmidt and garden and martin. although known primarily for their commercial and industrial designs, the firm also designed several residential buildings, more than 300 hospitals and a few public structures. measures 16 1/2 x 10 x 12 inches.