About This Item
matching pair of c. 1891 hand carved limestone exterior entrance endcaps salvaged from the old dana hotel (formerly known as the eerie hotel). the deep relief richardsonian romanesque style encaps originally rested below two tapered columns flanking the building’s main entrance. prior to demolition, the hotel dana held the distinction of being the citys oldest continually-operating hotel building, in addition to one of the oldest hotel structures still standing in chicago. built in 1891 as the erie hotel, the queen anne style flat building remains remarkably intact, the only of chicagos early hotel buildings not to have undergone significant alteration. the hotel dana was designed by architects normand s. patton and reynolds fisher, a noted firm that was among the foremost of chicagos queen anne style designers. patton and fisher designed many structures in the queen anne and classical revival styles, mostly in chicago, but also throughout the midwest. their commissions include, but not limited to, the landmarked administration buildings at the armour institute (now the illinois institute of technology), the chicago academy of sciences in lincoln park, and numerous public schools throughout chicago. two houses by the firm are also official city landmarks, in the kenwood landmark district. the dana hotel facade is composed of a symmetrical tripartite composition with a base of heavy, rusticated limestone and dark, rough red brick. the middle section, three stories in height, features signature queen anne pressed metal bays and decorative pressed red brick, giving the facade a pronounced verticality. the final floor of the composition terminates in a muted cornice with romanesque patterned brick detailing, accentuated with red terra cotta acanthus leaf capitals. each endcap measures 14 x 13 x 5 inches.