About This Item
original early 20th century american single-sided cast bronze interior room number plaque removed from the michael reese hospital “old main” building demolished in 2011. the rectangular-shaped plaque features deeply embossed numbers accentuated by the original baked black enameled background or recessed region. the plaque exhibits a naturally aged surface patina. this plaque was salvaged from from the 4th floor. possibly fabricated by the union equipment & bronze co., new york city, ny. original to the building. the south side chicago michael reese hopsital was erected on the ground of the former hospital constructed in 1880. the hospital was dedicated with appropriate ceremonies on june 16th, 1907. built at a cost of nearly a million dollars, the hospital was considered the most modern and best equipped in the city during time of construction. the building itself was six stories in height, constructed of solid masonry, steel and tile, with the most approved “system of heating, lighting and ventilation.” the interior originally accommodated 240 beds, included sixty private rooms. there were three operating rooms , along with special provisions for isolating patients in the surgical, medical gynecological and maternity departments. the hospital was designed by the architectural firm of schmidt and garden and martin. measures 6 x 2 inches.