About This Item
visually striking heavily ornamented cast bronze interior lobby grille salvaged from the c. 1911 chicago cook county and chicago city hall building. the single-sided, interconnected two section neoclassical style panel was originally positioned between the lobby elevator doors. the very intricately designed panels feature repeating scrolled foliage in the form of vine leaves with large floral rosettes. since 1853, the governments of chicago and cook county have shared three different buildings on this site. the monumental, classical revival-style exterior of the present structure, which was designed to be a functional and efficient office building, symbolizes the strength, dignity, and vigor of the governmental functions it contains. the county building was completed in 1908; city hall was finished in 1911. the architectural firm was holabird and roche. together, the pierced grille measures 71 x 43 3/4 inches.